Communication is our link with the world around us. Piedmont offers speech and language assessments utilizing technology and standardized testing to evaluate communication, cognitive, voice and swallowing challenges that result from disability, surgery, or developmental disorders.
Licensed and nationally certified speech-language pathologists at Piedmont provide prevention, evaluation, treatment, counseling and follow-up for speech and language disorders. They also evaluate and treat communication and swallowing disorders due to stroke, brain injury, or other nervous system impairments.
Impairment in communication and/or swallowing can be the result of:
- Head and neck cancer
- Neurological diseases such as Parkinson’s, ALS (Lou Gerhig’s disease), Multiple Sclerosis, Myasthenia Gravis, Dementia of the Alzheimer’s Type, and other neurodegenerative disorders
- Stroke, brain tumor or head injury
- Voice disorders, laryngeal trauma or injury
- Various other medical conditions
Specialized speech services include:
- Deep Pharyngeal Neuromuscular Stimulation
- Deep Facial Muscle Exercise
- Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES)
- Modified Barium Swallow Studies (MBS)
- Vital Stim Therapy
- Laryngeal Videostroboscopy
- Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT)
- Aural Rehabilitation
- Feeding Evaluation
- Pediatric Evaluation and Treatment
- Speech Generating Device
- Tracheoesophageal Prosthesis for Voice Restoration
Individualized treatment programs are designed to maximize the functioning level for newborns to the geriatric population.
Treatment and diagnostic programs vary by location.